Albay expecting full delivery of 55-ton UAE-donated food items

Food items from the 55-ton food item donation of the United Arab Emirates to the Province of Albay, June 13, 2023. (Courtesy: Governor Edcel “Grex” Lagman/Facebook)

By Alec Go

The provincial government of Albay said it is expecting this Wednesday, June 14, the completion of the delivery of the 55 tons of food items donated by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) for those affected by the activities of the Mayon Volcano.

The remainder of the first batch of food items will be delivered by three trucks. Repacking of the goods is set in the coming days.

Among the content of the food donations are cooking oils, rice, pasta, flour, sugar, canned tuna, salt, tomato paste, milk and tea powders, dates, and dry foul.

Albay Governor Grex Lagman said the donated food items will be utilized even in the following years.

“Handa po tayo to absorb all [these] goods. This goods will be accounted for. Yung DSWD ang magiging lead agency at magmomonitor dahil ang mga ito ay dapat mapunta talaga sa mga nangangailangan,” he said.

The donation came from the Royal Family and the government of UAE after learning of the situation in Albay from Interior and Local Government Secretary Benjamin Abalos Jr.

Mayon Volcano remains under Alert Level 3 or “intensified unrest/magmatic unrest.”

More than 9,000 families have been affected so far, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.

A state of calamity has been declared in the entire province. – gb

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...