Albayalde pushes for ‘zero violence’ in BARMM polls

By Edwin Fernandez/Philippine News Agency

ZERO VIOLENCE. Philippine National Police Director General Oscar Albayalde speaking before the men and women of Police Regional Office – Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (PRO-BARMM) in Parang, Maguindanao on Thursday (May 9, 2019) where he pushed for “zero violence” in the forthcoming May 13, 2019 polls. He lauded the PRO-BARMM for the peaceful conduct of elections for the Bangsamoro Organic Law earlier this year that resulted to the formation of the new BARMM political entity. (Photo courtesy of PRO-BARMM)

PARANG, Maguindanao — Philippine National Police (PNP) Director, Gen. Oscar Albayalde, has ordered all police officers in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) to remain apolitical and ensure “zero violence” in the region come May 13 polls.

Albayalde on Thursday afternoon visited the Police Regional Office – BARMM headquarters here and lauded the office for the generally peaceful conduct of the two-part plebiscite on the Bangsamoro Organic Law (BOL) last January 21 and February.

“You did it during the BOL plebiscite. For sure you can do it again on May 13,” Albayalde told PRO-BARMM men and women, headed by Brig. Gen. Graciano Mijares.

“We are here to see to it that you are all prepared for the 2019 elections,” he told the police officers.

“Let us show the Filipino people that we are all capable of securing and protecting their votes,” he added.

BARMM has been listed by the Commission on Elections as an “area of grave concern” — the highest category of hot spots that requires increased security deployment – for Monday’s elections.

Albayalde said he expects members of PRO-BARMM to perform their duties and ensure that votes are protected.

Mijares said PRO-BARMM deployed a total of 8,000 personnel to priority areas of concern guided by the provisions of the PNP Operational Procedures and the Omnibus Election Code.

Earlier on Thursday, the PNP chief also visited the headquarters of PRO 12 (Soccsksargen) in General Santos City.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...