American resort owner faces deportation for working sans permit

MANILA — An American beach resort owner in Boracay will undergo deportation proceedings after he was arrested last week for working without permit, the Bureau of Immigration (BI) said on Monday.

Armed with a mission order issued by BI Commissioner Jaime Morente, Randall Lee Parker, 52, was caught on April 25 by BI intelligence operatives inside The Artienda, formerly known as Crown Beach Hotel located at Station Two, in Boracay, Malay, Aklan.

“He will undergo deportation proceedings for illegally working in the country,” Morente said in a statement.

The order was issued after a complaint was filed with the bureau about the American’s business activities in the island without the appropriate work permit or visa.

He noted that both the Labor Code and the Immigration Act strictly forbids aliens from engaging in gainful activity unless they obtain a work permit from the Labor Department and employment visa from the BI.

The BI chief said Parker has been in the Philippines as a tourist for almost two years already and blatantly violated the conditions of his stay as a temporary visitor after engaging in gainful work.

Meanwhile, BI spokesperson Antonette Mangrobang reported that travel records showed that the American arrived in the country on April 16, 2016 and has not departed ever since.

She added that the foreigner’s stay as a tourist was extended up to June 14 this year, and that he has been going in and out of the country since 2005.

Mangrobang said existing laws that regulate the employment of aliens in the country are intended to ensure that their activities in the country are consistent with their immigration documentation.

“The rule is that aliens holding tourist visas are not allowed to engage in any form of gainful employment or business activity,” the BI official added. (PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...