Army brings warring Moro clans to settlement

PEACE PACT. Erstwhile enemies Bong Abdul, 33 (white shirt), and Kindaw Samama, 45 (striped shirt), shake hands after signing the peace covenant on Sunday (Aug. 12) as Maguindanao Assemblyman Khadafy Mangudadatu (behind them) and other local and military officials join the community prayer. (Photo courtesy of 33rd IB)

KIDAPAWAN CITY — Army “peacemakers” on Sunday succeeded in bringing together to a “table of peace” Muslim families involved in a bloody family feud following weeks of negotiations.

The warring families agreed to end their conflict by signing a peace pact in front of local leaders and military officials, led by Col. Robert Dauz, commander of the Army’s First Mechanized Infantry Brigade (MIB), in Buluan, Maguindanao.

Assemblyman Khadafe Mangudadatu, offered his home as a venue for the historic peace pact-signing ceremony.

Dauz said both parties embroiled in the conflict — Bong Abdul, 33, and Kindaw Samama, 45 — agreed to sign the peace pact in a ceremony held at 9 a.m. at Mangudadatu’s house.

The families have been at odds since 2015 and both sides have lost several members in a series of armed confrontation.

Dauz said the Army unit worked with local chief executives and traditional leaders in resolving the conflict that had sparked armed violence in the past years.

“We applied the whole of government concept in addressing the issues that fueled the conflict among blood relatives. Both the Army’s 33rd Infantry Battalion and the 1st MIB worked in tandem to ensure the success of the negotiations on the ground,” the Army official said.

Abdul, village chairman of Midconding, Gen. Salipada K. Pendatun, Maguindanao, was grateful that the Army and local officials facilitated the conflict resolution.

“I could not describe my happiness today. Finally, my constituents can return to work in the 80-hectare farmland that was abandoned due to violent clashes during the past two years. We can now rebuild our lives,” he said, tears welling in his eyes.

His adversary, Samama, said his signing of the peace covenant was a clear indication he will no longer involve his family in inter-clan violence, in support of the government’s call for the peaceful resolution of minor conflicts.

“I swear to Allah that I will adhere to our agreement here. It is high time that we mend our broken ties as members of the same family,” said Samama, who lost a brother in the fighting last year.

Mangudadatu, for his part, said all residents must abandon the path of violence to support the peace and development agenda of the government.

“Let us stop this senseless infighting among relatives and instead, support President (Rodrigo) Duterte’s vision of achieving genuine peace and development in Mindanao,” said Mangudadatu who is related to both parties of the conflict.

Mangudadatu himself was injured during a family feud in Buluan 30 years ago. (Edwin Fernandez/PNA)

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...