Army officials: Capture of NPA leader breakthrough

DAVAO CITY — Army officials on Saturday hailed the capture of Elizalde Cañete alias Ka Jinggoy amid the government’s continued campaign to flush out and stop the atrocities of the communist New People’s Army (NPA) rebels.

“The arrest of NPA leader Elizalde Cañete alias Jinggoy is a major breakthrough in the effort by the government to preserve human security in the Davao region area,” said Brig Gen Ernesto Torres Jr, the commander of the 1003rd Brigade.

The troops of the 1003rd Brigade were the last security forces encountered by the Pulang Bagani Command (PBC) 1 on May 10 in Sitio Linao, Kipilas, Kitaotao, Bukidnon where Cañete was wounded.

Cañete, the commander of the Pulang Bagani Command 1 – Southern Mindanao Regional Command (PBC 1 -SMRC), was arrested when an Inter-Agency Law Enforcement Operations served a warrant against him while he was being treated for that wound around 10 a.m. on Saturday at the Don Carlos Doctors Hospital in Bukidnon.

Cañete was being sought for his alleged involvement in last year’s attacks in this city.

Cañete had previously been arrested but he he jumped bail in 2013.
As a result of Cañete’s arrest, Torres said members of the PBC 1 are disintegrating after suffering from a devastating tactical loss to government forces.

“The people of the region were afforded the assuring prelude of a more dignified and more peaceful living,” Torres said in a text message on Saturday night.

He assured that Cañete will be entitled to his rights, humane treatment and accorded of his right for the equal protection of laws while under house arrest.

Torres vowed to exert more effort to finally put the NPA rebels, who are still on the loose, at bay.

He said the 1003rd army will continue its mandate as the protector of the people, and will exemplify as a champion in protecting the rights of all persons

“The unit is again calling them upon others, who are still chained in the delusion of the classless society to come out in the open, away from the futility and falsity of the promises of the armed struggle,” Torres urged.

Maj. Gen. Noel S. Clement, the commander of the 10 Infantry Division said the military will continue with its commitment to bring peace to the region by removing those who threaten it and make them face the bar of justice.

Clement was grateful for the support of the people as he urged the remaining communist NPA rebels to give up the armed struggle and avail of government’ Comprehensive Local Integration Program.

The 1Oth ID commander said Cañete’s brand of terrorism has affected the improvement of everyone’s lives. (Lilian Mellejor/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...