Army: Southern Iloilo upland tourist spots ‘back to normal’

By Gail Momblan/PNA

ENJOY THE MOUNTAINS. Tourists can now enjoy mountainous attractions in southern Iloilo such as the Tinagong Dagat in Barangay Ongyod in Miagao after the Armed Forces of the Philippines on Tuesday (April 2, 2019) lifted its previous advisory for tourists to avoid the mountain areas for them not to be caught in crossfires. Authorities anticipate that local tourists will make time to enjoy the mountains of Iloilo especially with the celebration of the Holy Week in the third week of April. (Photo courtesy of JB Ralutit)

ILOILO CITY — The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said tourists can now enjoy normal activities in mountainous tourist spots of southern Iloilo.

Lt. Col. Sisenando Magbalot, commander of the 61st Infantry Battalion (61IB), said the Army lifted its advisory for tourists to avoid mountainous spots in the towns of Igbaras, Miagao, and San Joaquin in Iloilo province on April 2.

The Army on March 27 advised tourists to avoid going to tourist attractions in the mountains as part of its preventive measures for the 50th founding anniversary of the New People’s Army (NPA) on March 29.

Magbalot anticipated that the rebels will mark their celebrations with atrocities and harassment of AFP detachments.

The AFP aimed to protect tourists being caught in crossfires as series of clashes occurred in Barangay Mulangan, Igbaras, Iloilo on March 17; Barangay Osorio-2 in San Remegio, Antique on March 19; Sitio Igburay, Barangay Lacay Doldol, Igbaras, Iloilo on March 20; and the latest encounter on Sitio Burak, Barangay Alimodias, Miagao, Iloilo on March 24.

“But now we are done with our operations in these areas and we can now encourage tourists to do their normal activities in the mountain tourist spots. We are now doing security operations, not the pursuit operations that we did previously,” Magbalot said in an interview on Tuesday.

He anticipates that local tourists will make time to enjoy the mountains of Iloilo especially with the celebration of the Holy Week in the third week of April.

“We understand that tourists will take their leave and enjoy outdoor activities and we assure that we will secure them,” he added.

Magbalot said that his previous reminder to tourists was discussed among the concerned local government units. He said he will coordinate with the municipal mayors that the reminder has been lifted.

Magbalot also noted that municipal mayors in the mentioned local government units had been supportive of government troops.

These areas include Kabugsokan Falls in Barangay Dalije and Tinagong Dagat in Barangay Ongyod in Miag-ao; and Mt. Opao and Mt. Napulak in Igbaras attract tourists during Holy Week, Miagao Municipal Mayor Macario Napulan said in previous interviews.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...