ASG hand strongly eyed in Jolo blasts: Lorenzana

By Priam Nepomuceno/PNA

MANILA — The Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) is being eyed as the main perpetrators of the bloody twin bomb blasts in Jolo, Sulu that claimed the lives of 22 persons and wounded at least 97 others last January 27.

“Yes! Our source(s) (are) local and outside (intelligence), including the so-called East-Asia ISIS (Islamic State) website. Besides, only the ASG (the Sawadjaan faction) has (a) tie-up with the ISIS,” Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said in a message to the Philippine News Agency late Thursday when asked if they are looking into the possible involvement of the terror group in the incident.

Lorenzana was referring to Hatib Hajan Sawadjaan, a sub-leader of the ASG.

The defense chief earlier said the intelligence community is monitoring the presence of 40 foreign terrorists scattered in Central Mindanao, Basilan, and even in Jolo, Sulu.

“Whether there are foreign terrorists, either Indonesians or Malaysians, you cannot easily identify them because they look like us, unless they speak,” he added.

When asked on what the government is doing in the wake of the Jolo, Sulu bomb blasts, Lorenzana said the entire area had been locked down.

“When the blast occurred in Sulu, we locked down the whole town. It means everybody coming in will be inspected and those going out are also inspected. We are also monitoring the movement of the people there. They have curfew there. I think 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. (and) it was being imposed by the military even before the blasts occurred,” he added. 

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...