AstraZeneca vax interval shortened, won’t affect ‘no vax, no ride’

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency

MANILA – Those who recently got inoculated with AstraZeneca’s (AZ) coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) jabs do not have to worry about failing to comply with the “no vaccination, no ride” policy in Metro Manila, the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) said on Friday (Jan. 28).

In a message to the Philippine News Agency (PNA), DILG spokesperson Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya, said the second dose of AstraZeneca jabs can now be given within four weeks shortly after the first shot.

“Per NVOC [National Vaccination Operations Center], [the] 2nd dose of AZ vaccines can now be as early as 28 days after the first dose. So, problem solved na ang concern ng AZ vaccinees (As for the concern of AZ vaccinees, that is considered as a problem solved),” Malaya said, referring to the NVOC’s Dec. 9, 2021 advisory on the guidance on the administration of the second dose of AstraZeneca jabs.

This means that those who got AstraZeneca jabs recently can get their second dose within the Jan. 26 to Feb. 25 window given to the unvaccinated and partially vaccinated individuals to ride public transport.

Malaya’s clarification came after some AstraZeneca vaccine recipients raised concern that they would have to wait longer before they can get their second dose, fearing apprehension by authorities once the implementation of the “no vaccination, no ride policy” in Metro Manila starts on Feb. 26.

Previously, those who got AstraZeneca jabs as their first dose would have to wait up to 12 weeks before getting their second dose, much longer than the 28 to 30 days interval of other vaccine brands.

Malaya earlier said the “no vax, no ride” policy could no longer be delayed, hence the decision to come up with a 30-day grace period for the unvaccinated and those partially vaccinated.

He also clarified that the “no vax, no ride’’ policy will only be implemented under Alert Level 3. (PNA)    -ag

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...