Aussie travel advisory just a reiteration of previous advisory: AFP

MANILA – Australia’s latest travel advisory regarding possible terror attacks in the Philippines is merely a reiteration of that issued last May during the height of the Maute Group attacks in Marawi City, the spokesperson of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said.

“The AFP has verified the matter with the Australian Embassy and has found out that the travel advisory is a reiteration of a previous travel advisory issued earlier in May. It was reissued in a more succinct manner and may have an update next week following the end of combat operations in Marawi,” Maj. Gen. Restituto Padilla said when asked to comment on the matter late Friday.

Australia, in its Nov. 3 travel advisory to the Philippines, said there is a high threat of terrorist attack in the country, including Manila.

“Exercise heightened caution at this time. Be alert to possible threats around locations that have a low level of protective security and places known to be possible terrorist targets,” the advisory added.

Fighting in Marawi City was declared over after military forces killed Abu Sayyaf leader Isnilon Hapilon and Omar Maute, one of the founders of the Maute Group, last October 23.

The fighting, which began May 23, killed an estimated 920 terrorists and their allies along with 165 soldiers and 47 civilians.

When asked if there are still terror threats in the country, Padilla said the AFP has yet to detect any at the moment.

Wala, reiteration lang ito. (Nothing, this is just a reiteration.) The threat that they perceived in May is the same,” he added. (Priam Nepomuceno/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...