PNP foils NPA attack in Gubat town

LEGAZPI CITY — Members of the Philippine National Police (PNP) thwarted an attack launched by suspected New People’s Army (NPA) rebels on a police station in Barangay Poblacion, Gubat town in Sorsogon province on Friday evening.

Senior Insp. Maria Luisa Calubaquib, Bicol Police spokesperson, said a group of NPA members armed with assault rifles fired shots towards the police station in Barangay Poblacion at about 9 p.m.

Quoting a report from Gubat town police chief Nicolas Malipot, Calubaquib said a series of gunfire came from the back portion of the PNP station where the rebels were positioned some 50 meters away.

Malipot said police manning the station were able to immediately return fire and engage the rebels in a two-minute firefight that prompted the rebels to withdraw on board their motorcycles.

Police pursuit operations have been launched on Saturday to track down the rebels.

Calubaquib said the rebel attack was the second, following last month’s assault on a police outpost that killed a cop. (Mar Serrano/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...