Ejercito vows no repeat of Yolanda ‘mistakes’ in Marawi rehab

BAGUIO CITY— Senator Joseph Victor “JV” Ejercito on Friday assured the “fast” recovery of conflict-torn Marawi City, and vowed that there will be no repetition of the “mistakes” of the previous administration in handling the post-Yolanda rehabilitation period.

“Yolanda left us a lesson,” Ejercito said.

Ejercito vowed that even the issue of substandard housing for the affected residents will not be left unturned.

Ejercito, who chairs the Senate committee on urban planning, said the rehabilitation of Marawi should start immediately, as soon as state troops declare it free from all Maute stragglers.

In a press conference here Friday, Ejecito said he will be joining the heads of the Task Force Bangon Marawi to assess the damage in the area and look into rebuilding efforts to get Marawi back on its feet.

He said government troops are still clearing the business district of the war-torn city, especially with the reported presence of about 30 remaining terrorist stragglers, including foreign extremists, before they proceed with the rehabilitation phase.

“We want to be sure that if there is an opportunity, we will do it the right way immediately,” Ejercito added.

He explained that while rebuilding infrastructures is part of the agenda, the task force wants to fast-track building of houses for affected residents.

Ejercito also disclosed Japan’s financial aid for the recovery of Marawi.

During President Rodrigo Duterte’s visit to Japan last week, Ejercito mentioned that Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has committed to give Php500 million for Marawi’s rehabilitation.

He also bared the productive visit of the President to Japan wherein aside from the support for Marawi, Japan will also donate $942 million that will be used to build a subway from Metro Manila to La Union. (Liza Agoot/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...