Bohol to host Asian energy forum

TAGBILARAN CITY, Aug. 1 — Bohol will play host to delegates from 34 Asian countries next week converging for an energy forum.

The forum is timely as the province is still finding ways to come up with a permanent solution to the power supply shortage.

Countries comprising the Asian Cooperation Dialogue (ACD) will be converging at a Panglao resort from August 7 to 10 as the forum will focus on issues on energy security, sustainability and resiliency.

Department of Energy Regional Director Carmencita Bariso and Department of Foreign Affairs Regional Director Grace Villamayor met with Bohol Governor Edgar Chatto last week to finalize the plans and hosting arrangements.

Experts and officials from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) are also expected to attend the conference.

ACD members include Afghanistan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Brunei Darussalam, Bhutan, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Kazakhstan, South Korea, Kuwait, Kyrgyz Republic, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vietnam and the Philippines.

The continental forum is the first of its kind on energy, and which was first held in 2002.

The forum aims to find the missing link in Asian countries and building a community without necessarily duplicating other regional blocs.

Energy Undersecretary Wimpy Fuentebella said the resiliency of the Boholanos is one of the reasons why Bohol was chosen as the host for the forum.

Bohol’s impressive hosting of the ASEAN meetings could also be one of the keys why the forum will be held in the island province.

The dialogue aims to consolidate the strengths of Asia and improve the competitiveness of Asian countries though the maximizing of diversity and effective management of resources.

The conference will be an important avenue for locals as there would be information exchange and sharing of best practices among member states. (Dave Albarado/PNA)

Popular

Myanmar quake death toll passes 3,300: state media

By Agence France-Presse The death toll from a major earthquake in Myanmar has risen above 3,300, state media said Saturday (April 5), as the United...

Filipinos nabbed in China ordinary citizens with no military training

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora | Philippine News Agency The National Security Council (NSC) has expressed alarm over the arrest of three Filipino nationals for...

PH Contingent lends helping hand on rescue, medical ops in quake-hit Myanmar

By Brian Jules Campued The Philippine Inter-Agency Humanitarian Contingent (PIAHC) on Friday continued to assist in rescue and medical operations in Myanmar as the Southeast...

PBBM cites need to promote Filipino food for ‘experiential tourism’

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday emphasized the importance of promoting Filipino native delicacies and cuisines...