Bomb scare targets Bulacan university, 2 high schools

Photo from the Bulacan State University Facebook post shows students and faculty members evacuating due to a reported bomb threat on October 5, 2018, the second made against the school in a week. The university again became a target of bomb threat on Friday (October 12, 2018).

CITY OF MALOLOS, Bulacan — The Bulacan State University (BulSU) and two public high schools became targets of bomb threats through text messages with one of the senders claiming to be a member of the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army (CPP-NPA).

For the third time on Friday morning, the Marcelo H. Del Pilar National High School in Barangay Sta. Isabel here, received a text message that a bomb will explode within the day.

The first threat was made on Tuesday.

The BulSU, on the other hand, said a college student leader received a text message around noontime that a bomb was planted at the campus stock room.

A BulSU ranking official, who requested anonymity, said a college student and officer of the campus student council received a text, with the sender claiming to be a CPP-NPA member. Threats previously received by the university were made on Oct. 2 and 5.

The Guiguinto National Vocational High School in Barangay Poblacion, Guiguinto also received similar text messages on Tuesday and Thursday.

Joyce Marie Dalisay, Teacher 1 of Guiguinto Vocational High School, said on Friday they received a threat through text claiming the bomb would be carried by a Grade 7 student.

The Guiguinto Vocational High School have 10 school buildings and an administrative building with more than 6,000 students and 250 teachers.

Dalisay said class attendance dropped to almost 50% as parents disallowed their children from attending classes.

Senior Supt. Chito Bersaluna, director of the Bulacan Police Provincial Office, said the bomb squad disposal unit from the First Provincial Mobile Force Company conducted paneling operations in the schools premises and all turned out to be pranks.

“Our priority here is the safety of the students, even it turned into a joke or hoax we have to deploy our experts. It’s our mandate,” Bersaluna said.

Malolos City Mayor Christian Natividad said that they are doing all the best with his chief of police, Supt. Heryl Bruno, to determine who are behind the series of bomb hoaxes that disrupted classes. (Manny Balbin/PNA)

Popular

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...

Palace: PBBM has no personal knowledge of DPWH ‘leadership fund’

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has no personal knowledge of the so-called “leadership fund” in the Department...