Booster shot for 12-17 age group, 4th dose await approval

The Department of Health (DOH) has requested the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to amend the Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of some COVID-19 vaccine brands so they can be administered as booster shots for children aged 12 to 17.

In the “ResBakuna Kids and Tourists” activity here on Saturday (April 9), National Task Force Against COVID-19 chief implementer Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. announced that the DOH has already submitted a request to the FDA to amend the EUA of the Pfizer and Moderna jabs.

Galvez said the government is also pushing for the administration of a fourth dose of the COVID-19 vaccine to select sectors.

“Hinihiling po namin sa inyo na kapag nag-open na ang ating fourth dose, at nag-open na rin ang booster sa 12 to 17 years old, magpabakuna tayo. Hangga’t maaga, magpabakuna na,” he said in a news release.

As of April 8, a total of 9,058,466 aged 12 to 17 have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19.

The vaccination event held at a mall here focused on children aged 5 to 11, as well as tourists.

Galvez said he envisions Baguio to be a model of the national government’s vaccination efforts.

“We want to show local and foreign tourists that Baguio City is ready for business. When they visit here, they will feel safe. Tourists can even get vaccinated here,” Galvez said in a mix of English and Filipino. “Baguio is a beautiful place that is not only a premier tourist destination but a health, wellness, and vaccination hub as well.”

In line with the commemoration of “Araw ng Kagitingan” (Day of Valor), Galvez lauded those who work tirelessly to help in the country’s pandemic response efforts, especially the vaccination program.

The Philippines had already administered 143,966,310 doses of Covid-19 vaccines.

Of the total, 66,609,892 Filipinos are fully vaccinated while 12,443,226 of them have booster or additional doses. (PR/PNA)-gb

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...