Candidates warned not to use DSWD projects for politics

ILOILO CITY — The Department of Social Welfare and Development in Western Visayas (DSWD-6) is warning all candidates not to use their projects in politics.

Director Rebecca Geamala of DSWD-6 issued the reminder during the last day of the filing of certificates of candidacy (COC) on Wednesday.

“DSWD is apolitical, we do not have any political color,” she said in a press conference.

Geamala said many beneficiaries are wary of elections and previously there were reports that candidates threatened beneficiaries to be removed from the DSWD programs, especially from the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps) if they will not support them during elections.

“Actually, that is not true because Pantawid has nothing to do with politics,” she said, adding other programs like the Sustainable Livelihood Program, Social Pension, Kapit-Bisig Laban sa Kahirapan-Comprehensive and Integrated Delivery of Social Services and Supplemental Feeding Program.

“What is important is that, our beneficiaries should be compliant with all the conditions of the programs. No congressman, mayor or any political party could remove you on that list or even add you on that because we have a process in doing that,” she added.

To address this concern, Geamala urged the public to report to their office if they encountered this kind of issue. She said if these aspirants are already in their position, they could face charges from the Office of the Ombudsman and the Department of the Interior and Local Government.

“As long they have the proof, it is really possible to file charges,” she said.

“DSWD projects are of the national government that should be accessible to the people especially the poor, and the disadvantaged. Regardless of what political color of choice, they should not fear losing their grants,” she added.

Western Visayas has currently 308,548 active beneficiaries for the 4Ps alone, data from the DSWD-6 showed.

Majority of these beneficiaries are in Negros Occidental with 121,012; followed by Iloilo, 88,467; Capiz, 36,803; Antique, 27,298; Aklan, 27,125; and Guimaras with 7,843. (Cindy Ferrer/PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...