Cebu motorist goes into hiding after shooting wheel clamp

CEBU CITY — An enraged motorist indiscriminately fired a gun after his vehicle was clamped by elements of the City Traffic Operations Management (Citom) in Barangay Carreta on Thursday here.

The incident happened around 9 a.m. along General Maxilom Avenue in front of the Cebu City Health Office (CCHO) where the motorist’s vehicle was parked in a “No Parking Zone”.

The 27-year-old motorist identified as Milbert Destreza, however, eluded arrest as he then boarded a motorcycle for hire or “habal-habal” after firing shots at the clamping device.

Destreza reportedly parked his white Honda City car with temporary license plate number DV9713 in front of the CCHO, and the Citom officers patrolling area clamped the vehicle as it was in a “No Parking Zone” and in violation of City Ordinance No. 1664.

Citom traffic enforcer Donald Rivera clamped the illegally-parked vehicle and when Destreza saw the clamp on his car, he pulled out his gun and fired two shots at the device.

Officers from the Mobile Patrol Group and the Special Weapons and Tactic arrived at the scene but Destreza had already fled the area.

Destreza’s car was then towed to the Cebu City Transportation Office’s impounding area at the South Road Properties (SRP), while Rivera and his fellow Citom enforcers went to the Mabolo Police Station to report the incident.

Police Traffic Division chief Supt. Conrado Manatad said they will be filing charges for illegal discharge of firearm and malicious mischief against Destreza should the suspect fail to give himself up to the authorities within 24 hours. (Michelle Bugtai/PNA)

Popular

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...

PBBM eyes different gov’t post for Torre, Palace confirms

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is offering former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief PGen. Nicolas Torre III a different position in the...

‘Organic, real people’: Gomez belies claims that PCO pays for reactors, vloggers

By Brian Campued Presidential Communications Office (PCO) acting Secretary Dave Gomez on Tuesday stressed that the PCO does not pay reactors and vloggers to support...