Chinese garden in Laoag seen to boost tourism

MALACAñANG OF THE NORTH. A Chinese garden overlooking the legendary Paoay Lake and near the Malacañang of the North, a former residence of the Marcos family turned into a presidential museum and a favorite venue for wedding receptions, is now being developed as an added tourist attraction in the North.

LAOAG CITY — A Chinese garden overlooking the legendary Paoay Lake is currently being developed as an added attraction for tourists here.

This is strategically located near the Malacañang of the North, a former residence of the Marcos family turned into a presidential museum and a favorite venue for wedding receptions.

In a recent meeting, the People’s Republic of China represented by Wang Jianqun, Consul and Head of Post of the Chinese Consulate based in San Nicolas town, turned over around PHP2 million more to Governor Ma. Imelda Marcos on behalf of the Ilocos Norte government for the development of the Chinese garden, which broke ground in January 2017.

With the increasing number of Chinese tourists visiting the province, the People’s Republic of China and the Ilocos Norte government previously signed a 2017 memorandum of agreement for the development of a Chinese garden. The total project cost is PHP4 million.

Engineer Cecilia Gagarin of the Provincial Engineering Office (PEO) said the PEO had been tasked to implement the project since last year, but its completion was delayed due to numerous other activities.

Once completed, the Chinese garden is expected to boost tourism attraction, as this could be considered part of the travel itinerary of mostly Chinese tourists visiting the province all year round.

On January 14, a 13-story Superstar Virgo resumed its route again to Port of Currimao, ferrying passengers en route to Manila, Taiwan, and Japan. The Chinese Consulate office, established since 2007 in the province, has sustained friendly relations with the Ilocos Norte government, assisting the latter, particularly in agriculture, trade, and tourism development. (PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...