Chinese survey team saves 2 Pinoy fishermen

by Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/PNA

Two Filipino fishermen were rescued early this month by Chinese surveyors working on a China-aided study about the Panay-Guimaras-Negros (PGN) Island Bridge Project.

In an e-mail sent by the Chinese Embassy in Manila on Wednesday, it said the victims’ boats were found overturned and broken in Guimaras Strait when the marine water depth measurement team from China Communications Construction Company Limited (CCCC) Highway Consultants Co. Ltd saw them on March 1.

Feng Minhua, one of the surveyors, recalled that as their survey ship sailed five kilometers away from the coast, “the captain suddenly discovered human figures floating with waves in the distance.”

“When they were close, the surveyors gradually heard calling for help from planks of a broken small fishing boat. The voice was low because of exhaustion, and two fishermen were holding the planks tightly,” the embassy’s statement read.

“As there were big waves due to rising tide, the two fishermen were in great danger since they might be overturned and drowned by waves at any time. The surveyors and the crew immediately throw life ropes and life jackets to the fishermen,” it added.

After rescuing the fishermen, the survey ship also managed to tow two damaged fishing boats back to Sibunag wharf.

The fishermen, who were not identified, narrated that the sea conditions suddenly changed as they were fishing that day.

The strong wind and waves, they said, caused the boat to overturn and broke in the sea.

According to the embassy, the surveyors were in Guimaras Strait to conduct a feasibility study on the PGN Island Bridge Project, which was signed in the presence of President Duterte and President Xi Jinping who recently visited Manila last year.

The embassy said: “the feasibility study project is going on smoothly.”

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...