Comelec releases topics for town hall debates this weekend

By Ferdinand Patinio | Philippine News Agency

 

MANILA – Electoral reforms and education are among the topics to be discussed at the presidential town hall debates to be held on April 24 in Pasay City, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) announced on Wednesday.

According to Comelec Commissioner George Garcia, the event which will start at 7:00 p.m. at the Sofitel Harbor Garden Tent, Pasay City, is the last presidential event by the poll body for this year’s elections.

Other topics include economics and infrastructure with emphasis on the digital frontier.

In the two previous presidential debates, the aspirants who were present were former presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella, labor leader Leody de Guzman, Manila Mayor Francisco Domagoso, former national security adviser Norberto Gonzales, Senator Panfilo Lacson, businessman Faisal Mangudato, Dr. Jose Montemayor Jr., Senator Emmanuel Pacquiao, and Vice President Leni Robredo.

Former senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos, Jr. was absent in both events held last March 19 and April 3 at Sofitel Hotel Tent in Pasay City.

As for the last vice-presidential town hall debate by the poll body to be held on April 23, Garcia said the discussions will be on social sector issues (underpinning the plight of the vulnerable sectors (Indigenous People, Person With Disability), work force, farmers, overseas Filipino workers, LGBTQ, Women, etc.).

The attendees in the first VP debates held last March 20 were Walden Bello, Manny SD Lopez, Willie Ong, Kiko Pangilinan, Carlos Serapio, and Tito Sotto.

Another VP bet, Lito Atienza, has declined to attend the debate due to medical reasons while Sara Duterte was also absent at the said event. (PNA

– ag 

 

 

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...