Comelec starts ‘Operation Baklas’

PNA

ILOILO CITY — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) started its “Operation Baklas” at the same time the election campaign for all national candidates kicked off on Tuesday.

There are 62 senatorial candidates and 134 party-list groups vying for national positions.

Atty. Dennis L. Ausan, Regional Election Director of Comelec Region 6 (Western Visayas), said all the field offices in the region have already constituted their respective task forces to come up with “Operation Baklas”, a drive to remove all campaign materials which do not conform with the prescribed size and locations imposed by the Comelec.

“All campaign materials that are not posted, pasted or outside the designated common areas will be removed. At least as far as the national candidates are concerned,” Ausan added.

The prescribed maximum size of the Comelec for all the tarpaulins and posters is two feet by three feet or three feet by two feet depending whether these are horizontal or vertical and should only be posted and placed in the designated campaign areas.

In Iloilo City, the common poster areas are the following: Plaza Libertad facing JM Basa Street for the City Proper District, Plaza Villa Rizal Street facing police station for Arevalo, Plaza Jaro along Rizal Street facing Andok’s Chicken for Jaro, Plaza La Paz facing Huervana Street and police station for La Paz, Rizal Street, Barangay Lapuz Norte in front of RoRo terminal in Lapuz , Plaza Mandurriao facing the police station and Plaza Molo along Locsin Street facing Consing Mansion for Molo district

Ausan said violation of the election laws will have corresponding penalty of imprisonment of not less than one year but not more than six years.

He pointed out that violating the rules can also mean disqualification to hold public office. It is not only the candidates but also the supporters who can be held liable for an election offense case.

“We will be implementing the full force of the law,” Ausan said.

The regional director also reminded candidates to register with the Comelec’s Education and Information Department their official website and blogs.

Prior to the campaign period, the Comelec Western Visayas has been preparing for the upcoming mid-term elections.

Ausan said that the Comelec has prepared for the implementation of the campaign period, the most common of which is the enforcement of gun ban.

“We have coordinated with our deputies, the Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines and so far, everything has been okay. We have established hundreds or even thousands of checkpoints all throughout the region, we have effected apprehension and done confiscation of illegal firearms including bladed weapons and explosives and even replicas,” he added.

“We are very, very peaceful compared to other regions in the country. I wish that everything will be the same come May 13, 2019,” Ausan said.

Meanwhile, Ausan will be assigned as temporary regional director of Comelec in Central Visayas replacing lawyer Rafael Olaño.

Lawyer Jose Nick Mendros from Comelec Region 8 will temporarily assume as regional director of Western Visayas Comelec.

The temporary post will last for four months until the last day of the election period on June 12, 2019.

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...