NegOr to synchronize removal of illegal campaign posters

By Mary Judaline Partlow/PNA

DUMAGUETE CITY — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) in Negros Oriental is awaiting final instructions for a regionalized and synchronized removal of illegal posters and other campaign materials as the May 13 mid-term election draws nearer.

Lawyer Eliseo Labaria, provincial election supervisor of Negros Oriental, disclosed on Monday afternoon that they have agreed to conduct the activity on a regional basis.

He said they have monitored campaign materials here that are not of the size prescribed by the poll body.

“We have seen that there are many big tarpaulins that have been put up and we will have those that are not of the required size taken down soon,” he said in the Cebuano dialect.

At the start of the campaign period for senators and other national level positions on Tuesday, many illegal campaign materials were already seen around Dumaguete City, the provincial capital, and elsewhere in the province, Labaria said.

These not only violate the prescribed size, they are also not in the Comelec-designated common poster areas, he explained.

Labaria urged the political candidates and those working for them on the campaign trail to refer to the Comelec guidelines on the proper types of election campaign materials to avoid facing legal cases in the future.

Meanwhile, he said they are also urging candidates at the national level to coordinate with proper authorities for the conduct of political rallies here so that the necessary security can be provided.

Labaria said so far, no one has asked his office for a permit for a political rally although he anticipates there will be requests for it in the coming weeks, considering the short time allotted for campaigning.

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...