Conjunctivitis symptom for XBB.1.1.6 subvariant still unconfirmed

The Manila City government opens a free drive-through swab test center at the Quirino Grandstand, Jan. 18, 2021. (PNA photo by Avito C. Dalan)/FILE

By Alec Go

The Department of Health (DOH) said the World Health Organization (WHO) has yet to confirm the symptoms of Omicron sublineage XBB.1.1.6 or “Arcturus” including conjunctivitis.

This is considered a variant of interest by the WHO. 

In response to the media on Wednesday, April 26, the DOH said common COVID-19 symptoms are fever, cough, fatigue, loss of taste or smell, sore throat, headache, body pain, and diarrhea. 

“Aside from the known flu-like symptoms of COVID-19, other symptoms may vary from case to case and studies are continuously ongoing of what effects the virus may entail,” it stated.

“What is important is that cases remain manageable,” it added.

The DOH advised the public to consult with their physicians for proper diagnosis. 

It also reiterated its call on the public to continue observing health standards to prevent COVID-19 transmission, such as proper sanitation, wearing of face masks, distancing, and good ventilation. 

“[V]accination remains to be the best defense against severe COVID-19,” it continued.

The Philippines’ first XBB.1.1.6 case in Western Visayas was reported on Tuesday. – gb

Popular

PBBM, U.S. official tackle Luzon economic corridor, investments

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. met with the United States (US) Undersecretary of State for Economic Growth,...

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...