Consumption, investment to boost economy in 2018: S&P report

MANILA – – Debt watcher S&P forecasts consumption and investments to regain their foothold as the main growth drivers of the Philippine economy this 2018.

It projects the domestic economy to expand by 6.5 percent, as measured by Gross Domestic Product (GDP), this year. This growth projection is, however, lower than the government’s seven to eight percent target for 2018-22.

“As the Q4 figures show, the resurgence of private household spending came just in time, as electronics exports were no longer able to prevent the usual negative contribution of net exports to growth,” S&P said in a report.

Last year, the domestic economy expanded by 6.7 percent, within the government’s 6.5-7.5 percent target.

Data from the Philippine Statistics Office (PSA) show that growth of the economy got its boost from manufacturing, trade, and real estate, renting and business activities in the last quarter alone.

Among the sectors, industry registered the fastest rise at 7.3 percent followed by Services, 6.8 percent; and Agriculture, 2.4 percent, which in turn, made a turn-around after a 1.3 percent drop a year ago.

S&P said growth of the economy remained resilient even at the latter part of last year  after the recovery of private consumption, which contributed less in the first three quarter of 2017.

“Interestingly, net exports detracted from growth despite the ongoing boom in electronics exports,” it noted.

Meanwhile, the credit rater is on the lookout for more developments on the country’s current account, which registered small deficits in some months of 2017 due to continued higher importation as needed by the sustained expansion of the domestic economy.

The study said the current account is also affected by slower remittance inflows and higher energy prices.

“Although we do not expect a significant widening of the deficit under our baseline, such as scenario would increase the Philippines’ exposure to potential sudden capital outflows in times of market panic,” it added. (PNA)

Popular

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...