Court junks 1 of 2 remaining drug raps vs. de Lima

Leila de Lima (PNA photo by Benjamin Pulta)

By Benjamin Pulta | Philippine News Agency

MANILA – The Muntinlupa Regional Trial Court (RTC) on Friday acquitted former senator Leila de Lima of conspiracy to commit illegal drug trading, one of the two remaining charges related to her alleged involvement in shady deals inside the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) in Muntinlupa City when she was still justice secretary.

Presiding Judge Joseph Alcantara of Branch 204 said after key witness and former Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) deputy director Rafael Ragos recanted his testimonies last year, it cast a reasonable doubt on the guilt of the 63-year-old de Lima, who has been under detention since February 2017.

“Under the circumstances of this case, the testimony of witness Ragos is necessary to sustain any possible conviction. Without his testimony, the crucial link to establish conspiracy is shrouded with reasonable doubt,” the court said.

De Lima was cleared of alleged violation of Section 5 of the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act that penalizes the “sale, trading, administration, dispensation, delivery, distribution, and transportation of illegal drugs.”

The prosecution claimed proceeds from the sale of illegal drugs were delivered to de Lima in two tranches of P5 million on Nov. 24 and Dec. 15, 2012.

Ragos and intelligence agent Jovencio Ablen were initially presented as witnesses but the judge noted that only the former claimed knowledge of the supposed source of the money.

“The rule of law has prevailed and it just points out to us that the independence of the judiciary is a basic foundation of our democratic system,” Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla told reporters.

The charge of tolerating the drug trade inside the NBP is pending before the Muntinlupa RTC Branch 256.

Judge Romeo Buenaventura set hearings for next month.

A decision has yet to be released on her application for bail but if convicted, she faces life imprisonment.

De Lima’s co-accused in the remaining complaint are her former aides Ronnie Dayan and Joenel Sanchez, former BuCor chief Franklin Jesus, his former staff member Wilfredo Elli, and a certain Jad de Vera.

In a statement, de Lima said she did not doubt from the very beginning that she would be acquitted in all the cases filed against her “based on the merits and the strength of my innocence” and she is “extremely grateful to all those who stood by and prayed for me all these years.” (PNA)

 

Popular

Palace slams attempt against NegOr contractor, vows to dismantle espionage networks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Amid consecutive developments arising from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s revelation of ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood control projects in his 4th...

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...