COVID-19 cases now at 57,006; more than 4,000 recoveries recorded

The Department of Health (DOH) announced on Monday afternoon the total count of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the country reached 57,006 after 836 cases were added. The DOH also reported that there are now 4,325 recoveries, bringing the total number to 20,371. The death toll also increased to 1,599 after 65 succumbed to the disease. Active cases dropped to 35,036.

The department attributed the improved surveillance among communities to the spike in recoveries.

“The increase has been gradual and our health system is able to cope with the increasing number of cases. This is reflected in our indicators, as of July 12 our case doubling time is still at 8.18 days. This means that it takes more than a week for the number of cases to double and have enough resources to address the current needs,” DOH USec. Vergeire said.

Meanwhile, USec. Leopoldo Vega disclosed that the country has hit the danger zone level in terms of providing critical care and the use of intensive care units.

“The capacity right now, critical bed capacity, especially for ICUs, according to our data, nasa (is in the) danger zone, more than just about 70 percent. Mayroon pa ring kailangang tugunan, and we have to make sure na if ever there is a rise in the number of severe and critical patients, kailangan maka-adjust ang mga hospitals (There are still those that need to be addressed and we have to make sure that if ever there is a rise in the number of severe and critical patients, hospitals can adjust),” he reminded.

The Makati Medical Center issued a statement that it has reached full capacity “after a thorough review of our bed utilization [particularly the Critical Care Units] and manpower, and in consultation with its COVID-19 medical teams.”

“The COVID-19 zones of MMC, both the regular wards and the Critical Care Units, and especially the Emergency Room, are now full… We will exert every effort to find you another healthcare facility of your choice [or ours],” it added.

Although some hospitals have been declaring full capacity, USec. Vergeire said it must be interpreted “cautiously.” – Report from Mark Fetalco

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...