D.A., BOC intercept P2-M worth of smuggled red onions in Misamis Oriental

CAMPAIGN AGAINST AGRICULTURAL SMUGGLING. Department of Agriculture (D.A.) Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. leads the inspection of seized red onions at the Mindanao International Container Terminal in Misamis Oriental on Tuesday (June 24, 2025). The smuggled onions, worth P2 million and weighed about 25-tons, arrived in the Philippines from China on May 26, according to the D.A. (Photo courtesy: D.A.)

By Brian Campued

The Department of Agriculture (D.A.) – Bureau of Plant Industry (BPI) and the Bureau of Customs (BOC) on Tuesday inspected 25-ton smuggled red onions worth at least P2 million in an abandoned shipping container at the Mindanao International Container Terminal in Misamis Oriental.

According to the D.A., the shipment containing the smuggled red onions arrived in the country from China on May 26 and was declared to contain frozen goods, such as egg noodles, croissant dough, pizza dough, buns, and spring rolls.

“Usually kasi ang style ng mga smuggler… para makalusot sila sa D.A., they declare as processed goods, supposedly hindi namin puwedeng pakialaman. But then as we see a declaration that is unusual, we report to the BOC and pinapa-hold namin,” Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. said in an interview with the People’s Television Network.

According to Laurel, the seized onions in Misamis Oriental as well those confiscated in ports of Manila and Cagayan de Oro earlier this month may have come from a single group who uses different names to smuggle onions into the Philippines.

Photo courtesy: Vel Custodio / PTV News

Meanwhile, the D.A. chief added that Malacañang has directed the agency to distribute the red onions to the public if confirmed safe for human consumption.

“Ang directive na nakuha ko mula sa Malacañang is kung puwedeng ipamigay, ipamimigay sa mga taumbayan. Kung may tama naman at not fit for human consumption ’yong mga produktong nahuli, ito ay for destruction naman,” Laurel said.

Laurel also stressed that their agency continues to crack down on unscrupulous traders,  reiterating President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive to intensify the campaign against agricultural smuggling.

“Para sa mga smugglers naman diyan na sumusubok pang guamwa ng kalokohan… ang utos ng Presidente [ay] hanapin kayo at maposasan kayo, kaya tuloy-tuloy ang aming operations tungkol dito,” he said. (with report from Vel Custodio / PTV News)

-jpv

Popular

Palace slams attempt against NegOr contractor, vows to dismantle espionage networks

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Amid consecutive developments arising from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s revelation of ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood control projects in his 4th...

Student Beep card with 50% discount available starting Sept. 1 —DOTr

By Brian Campued The Department of Transportation (DOTr) is set to roll out white and personalized Beep cards to make commuting more convenient and more...

Palace: China cannot stop PH from asserting its territorial rights

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Friday reiterated that the Philippines will not be deterred in its efforts to defend its territorial and maritime interests in...

D.A. brings P20 rice to fisherfolk; affordable rice for jeepney, tricycle drivers soon

By Brian Campued As part of the continuous expansion of the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM) Na” Program of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. to various...