D.A. launches P20 rice project in Siquijor

AFFORDABLE RICE. Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. leads the rollout of the P20 per kilo rice in Siquijor on Tuesday (June 17, 2025) under the “Benteng Bigas Meron (BBM Na” program. (Photo courtesy: Department of Agriculture)

By Ma. Rodelhyn M. Gagate | PTV – DMIS Intern

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. envisions a comprehensive progression towards food sustainability in the Philippines, as Department of Agriculture (D.A.) Secretary Francisco Tiu-Laurel Jr. implemented the P20 rice scheme on Tuesday, which was intended to be budget-friendly among Filipinos. 

“The launch of the P20 program in this magical island of Siquijor serves as a strategic model for the initial rollout of the program across other island provinces,” Secretary Tiu-Laurel uttered.

D.A. is focused on vital observations of effective strategic planning towards the struggles that the Visayan island province might face once it is fully launched, especially in marginalized areas.

As per the Agriculture chief, Siquijor will assist in creating the plan for extending the program throughout the archipelago, which might continue until the conclusion of President Marcos’ term in June 2028.

According to Food Terminal Inc. (FTI) President Joseph Lo, the establishment of the program will be conducted at Siquijor as it will be used as a trial ground for enhancing logistics operations, securing well-ordered allocation, and building immediate feedback systems—all essential elements of a long-term nationwide deployment.

“We’re not just delivering rice; we’re building the framework to deliver it better,” Lo said.

In the initial stage, around 425 households—or about 1,700 people—will benefit from the P20/kg rice program in Siquijor. It may be a staggered rollout, yet it could have significant effects on areas that have long been affected by increasing food costs. 

The Siquijor rollout simulated Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, which was released also in different provinces in the previously re-established Negros Island Region (NIR). The program’s trial phase, which will run until December 2025, has chosen to focus on the NIR, one of the Visayas’ weakest districts.

— dac / bjlc / jpv

Popular

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...