D.A. pushes for higher rice import tariff, halt on rice imports

By Anna Leah Gonzales | Philippine News Agency

The Department of Agriculture (D.A.) is pushing for the temporary suspension of rice importation and an increase in tariffs on imported rice, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Secretary Dave Gomez said Monday.

Last week, the D.A. said it is pushing for a modest increase in tariffs on imported rice to at least 25 percent from the current 15 percent.

“The Department of Agriculture is recommending an increase in tariffs on imported rice and a temporary halt to importation to protect local farmers,” Gomez said.

The Cabinet would discuss the matter with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. in India on the sidelines of his state visit.

The D.A.’s measure is part of the Marcos Jr. administration’s target to gradually revert to the original 35 percent tariff on imported rice, a year after the implementation of reduced duties to help lower soaring retail rice prices. (PNA)

Popular

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...

PBBM eyes different gov’t post for Torre, Palace confirms

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is offering former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief PGen. Nicolas Torre III a different position in the...

‘Organic, real people’: Gomez belies claims that PCO pays for reactors, vloggers

By Brian Campued Presidential Communications Office (PCO) acting Secretary Dave Gomez on Tuesday stressed that the PCO does not pay reactors and vloggers to support...