DA sees drop in rice prices as peak harvest season nears

Representative photo of rice (Photo courtesy of Pixabay)

By Stephanie Sevillano | Philippine News AgencyThe price range of regular- and well-milled rice may drop at P45 to P48 per kilogram (kg) as the country approaches the peak harvest season, the Department of Agriculture (DA) said Wednesday.

Agriculture Assistant Secretary Arnel de Mesa said they are monitoring a decline in retail prices, although the prevailing price range is still at P49/kg to P50/kg in Metro Manila.

“Until-unti nang bumababa, nakakakita na tayo ng mga P40 plus level…posible iyan sa ganyang level. Tinitingnan naman natin na okay iyong harvest natin,” he said in a radio interview.

De Mesa said the El Niño phenomenon has minimal effects on the country’s harvest season, which is expected from March to April.

It has accounted for 14,000 hectares of damaged rice farms so far, or only 1.5 percent of the total area allotted for rice.

“Inaasahan natin hanggang 9.6 million metric tons (MT) ang ma-harvest natin ngayong dry season na ito,” de Mesa added.

Besides the yield supply, he cited the dwindling price of rice in the international market which is now at a US$570/MT level.

De Mesa also assured adequate import volumes following Laurel’s earlier talks with rice importers.

“Mas mataas ito kumpara the same period last year ng almost 40 percent. So malaki iyong imports, karamihan nito ay pumasok ng January,” he said.

To date, around 728,000MT of imported rice have entered the country.

Popular

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...