Davao City imposed stricter household lockdowns to curb the surge of COVID-19 infections in the city, Davao COVID-19 Task Force Spokesperson Dr. Michelle Schlosser said on Friday (Sept. 10).
Speaking at 87.5 Davao City Disaster Radio (DCDR) Bida Bakunado program, Schlosser said there is a “massive surge of COVID-19 cases” and an increase in Delta variant cases.
If the upward trend continues, the health expert said the city’s health facilities may soon be overwhelmed. Currently, COVID-19 beds at the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) in Davao City and the Davao Regional Medical Center (DRMC) in Tagum City are already full.
Earlier this month, Davao CIty has hit an all-time high 30.5% positivity rate of COVID-19 infections, which has mostly come from household transmissions.
Based on the latest data from the Department of Health – Davao Region released on Saturday (Sept. 11), Davao City has recorded a total of 42,658 COVID-19 cases. Of those numbers, 8,521 are active cases.
The city also had 32,834 recoveries with the death toll at 1,303 deaths. – CF – bny