Davao mayor lauds arrest of NPA leader

DAVAO CITY — Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio on Tuesday lauded the military for the successful operation leading to the apprehension of Elizalde Caṅete alias Ka Jinggoy, the top leader of the New People’s Army (NPA) operating in Davao Region and some parts of Bukidnon.

“I am very happy with the result of the operation of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) we can really see the outcome of their hard work to apprehend the big personalities in the rebel group. I’d like to congratulate them on this success,” the mayor said on Tuesday.

Duterte-Carpio said that the apprehension of Caṅete creates a big significance in achieving justice to all the atrocities that had happened in the city.

She then asked for the people’s support to the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) to continue giving their trust and confidence to the men in uniform to achieve just and lasting peace in the city.

“I’d like to solicit the support of the public in all the programs and projects of the city government of Davao, AFP, Philippine National Police and the barangays because these institutions represent the government which the people should support,” the mayor said.

The mayor added that the city will support the filing of charges against Caṅete to give justice to those people who were affected by the action of the NPA leader.

“The city will help in the filing of charges against him,” she said. “The City Prosecutor’s Office will file charges against them.”

It can be recalled that Larry Buenafe, a fish vendor was killed after an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) exploded after the rebels burned the Lapanday Box Plant in Mandug last year.

The mayor called on the NPA and asked for justice for the death of Buenafe.

On May 29, Caṅete was turned over to Davao City Police Office (DCPO) after he was arrested in a hospital in Bukidnon.

Caṅete replaced Leoncio Pitao who was killed in an encounter with the 10th Infantry Division in 2015. (Funny Pearl Gajunera/PNA)

Popular

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...