Davao police chief warns cops sleeping on duty

DAVAO CITY – The Davao City chief of police has warned police personnel they will face stiff sanctions, and even suspension, when they are caught sleeping while on duty.

Senior Supt. Alexander Tagum, issued the warning after announcing that he has started random inspections on all police stations as part of the directive of the new Philippine National Police (PNP) chief, Dir. Gen. Oscar Albayalde.

“Especially, the wee hours in the morning… to ensure that all men in all police stations are on post and doing their regular duty which is ensuring the security and safety of the people of Davao City,” Tagum said in an interview on Monday.

“If we confirmed that they really committed lapses and I will be the one to catch them, we will suspend them,” he added.

Tagum said he is apologizing in advance to the family of the policemen who will be caught because they will not receive any of their bonuses.

“If you will be suspended even if it is only for a day, automatic, all bonuses will not be received by these people for a year,” he said.

Tagum said he started the random inspection on Sunday evening in the police stations of Sta. Ana, San Pedro, Buhangin and Sasa. However, he begged off to reveal his findings when pressed on the matter.

Meanwhile, the DCPO will intensify its security measures in the city following the explosion happened in Koronadal City, South Cotabato on Sunday afternoon.

Tagum said he is also reviewing the security measures implemented the past months.

The evaluation includes the crime incidents happened since last year to identify the area where the police deployment really needed.

Part of his plan, Tagum said to implement patrol in the coastline, and that this will be among his recommendations to Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio in an effort to further enhance security measures in the city. (Armando Fenequito Jr/PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...