Deadly Blasts Hit Somalia

Mogadishu, Somalia

At least six people were killed and 13 others were wounded in two bombings in Somalia on Sunday, ambulance services and officials said.

The deadliest blast occurred in the capital, Mogadishu, where at four people were killed in a car bombing outside a coffee shop on the capital’s busiest road.

Dr Abdulkadir Abdirahman Aden of the Mogadishu ambulance services told VOA Somali that they have evacuated the dead bodies. Officials believe the car was driven by a suicide bomber.

The blast caused huge damage to the coffee shop and nearby buildings, according to the witnesses. No one claimed responsibility for the blast

Earlier in the day, two people were killed and four others were wounded after a suicide car bomb exploded near a military vehicle in Afgoye. Deputy Governor of Lower Shabelle region Ali Nur Mohamed told VOA Somali that all victims were government soldiers.

The suicide bomber chased the pickup truck transporting the soldiers but detonated when it was unable to catch up with, officials said.

The al-Shabab militant group claimed responsibility of the attack in Afgoye, 30 km west of Mogadishu.

Meanwhile, the Somali government said two militants killed in a shootout with security forces were responsible for the assassination of a young business entrepreneur in Mogadishu on Tuesday.

The killing of the business entrepreneur Mohamed Mohamoud Sheikh Ali led to public protests in Mogadishu by activists and youth members who demanded accountability.

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...