Death toll in India’s Manipur massive landslide rises to 48

Xinhua News Agency

NEW DELHI — Search for the missing in a massive landslide in India’s northeastern state of Manipur entered the sixth day Tuesday, July 5, as the death toll has risen to 48, officials said.

The landslide last week hit Tupul yard railway construction camp in Noney district, where some Territorial Army (TA) men were guarding a major railway line construction site. The majority of the dead were TA personnel.

Officials said more than 400 personnel of National Disaster Response Force, State Disaster Response Force, police, fire service, army, local volunteers and others have been engaged in the rescue operation.

The rescue team has deployed sniffer dogs and Through-Wall Imaging Radar to detect life presence in the debris.

The landslide has completely blocked a river flowing through Tamenglong and Noney districts.

Officials said the landslide has created a dam-like water body that will likely inundate low-lying areas once the debris is removed.

The local administration has issued an advisory to the people living in the low-lying areas, asking them to prepare for evacuation in case there is more rainfall.

Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh described the landslide as the worst incident in the state’s history. – gb

Popular

NMC backs DND over infra works, dev’t in West PH Sea features

By Brian Campued The National Maritime Council (NMC) on Saturday expressed support for the Department of National Defense (DND) for its rejection of recent statements...

Filipino astrophysics students’ ‘Double Gyroscope’ experiment performed by NASA astronaut in space

By Brian Campued An experiment designed by Filipino students was recently carried out by a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut aboard the International...

Can an arrest warrant be served to a suspect’s lawyer? NBI says no

By Brian Campued A warrant of arrest cannot be served to a suspect’s legal counsel, according to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). In a press...

Palace declares May 27 regular holiday for Eid al-Adha

By Brian Campued Malacañang has declared May 27, 2026 a regular holiday in observance of Eid al-Adha or the “Feast of Sacrifice” in Islam. The announcement...