Dengue cases in Bulacan up by 21%

CITY OF MALOLOS, Bulacan — Dengue cases in this province have increased by 21 percent in the first four months of this year compared to the same period in 2017.

Jocelyn Gomez, the head of the Provincial Public Health Office, said there are 1,494 reported dengue cases from January 1 to April 28 this year, as against 1,237 cases in the same period last year.

Gomez said the top three places in the province with dengue cases exceeding 100 were the City of San Jose del Monte with 187; followed by Hagonoy with 141; Santa Maria 102. The rest of the cities and municipalities posted cases below 100.

She noted that males comprised 54.3 percent of dengue cases, while females cornered 45.7 percent.

“Two deaths were also reported for the same period, a male and female both 13 years old, compared to five last year with one coming from the City of Malolos and one from Pulilan town,” Gomez said.

She added that out of the 569 barangays of Bulacan, there were a total of 10 villages clustered for suspected dengue cases.

According to the World Health Organization, “dengue is the fast emerging pandemic-prone viral disease in many parts of the world.”

Dengue flourishes in urban poor areas, suburbs and the countryside but also affects more affluent neighborhoods in tropical and subtropical countries.” (PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...