Dengvaxia vaccine not given to Pangasinan public school children

LINGAYEN, Pangasinan — No child in any public school in Pangasinan was administered with the anti-dengue vaccine Dengvaxia, the provincial health officer said.

Interviewed by newsmen on the sideline of the Question Hour of the Pangasinan provincial board on Monday, Dr. Anna Teresa de Guzman said no Dengvaxia vaccine was delivered by the Department of Health (DOH) to the province.

She said Pangasinan and other parts of Region 1 were not considered priority areas for the vaccine because they registered low incidence of dengue last year.

Only areas where there was high prevalence of dengue in 2016 were made as pilot areas for the dengue vaccine, de Guzman said.

The priority areas are the provinces of Region III and Region IV-A as well as the National Capital Region (NCR).

De Guzman said Pangasinan was not a priority area because it registered only 3,800 cases of dengue last year as compared to 4,600 cases already registered from January 1 to November this year or an increase of at least 17 percent.

The PHO head, however, believes that private clinics and hospitals in Pangasinan may have availed of the vaccine from the manufacturer and administered this to their patients.

“This is what we are doing today — find out the children who may had been given Dengvaxia by private clinics and hospitals and monitor their health,” De Guzman added.

Under the guidelines of DOH, Dengvaxia was supposed to be administered by city and municipal health centers to public school children aged nine years old and above. (PNA)

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...