DENR-12 eyes disaster mapping completion before yearend

By Allen Estabillo/Philippine News Agency

GENERAL SANTOS CITY — The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) in Region 12 (Soccsksargen) said it aims to complete its disaster vulnerability risk assessment (VRA) before yearend.

Dr. Sabdullah Abubacar, DENR-12 executive director, said the ongoing assessment focuses on the potential impact of the occurrence of floods, landslides, and other related disasters to communities within the region’s 45 municipalities and five cities.

Abubacar said the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB)-12, which implements the project, already completed the vulnerability risk assessment (VRA) or hazard exposure mapping in 35 localities.

“We intend to finish the remaining 15 (localities) this year,” Abubacar said in a press conference in Koronadal City on Thursday.

He said the mapping to “capacitate communities to their adaptation to geologic hazards” and is among the agency’s top priorities.

DENR-12 has identified at least 341 of Soccsksargen’s 1,194 barangays as highly prone to flooding while 218 are at risk to landslides.

The flood-prone areas cover 179 barangays in North Cotabato and Cotabato City, 73 in Sultan Kudarat, 69 in South Cotabato, and 20 in Sarangani.

Of the landslide-prone areas, 57 barangays are located in South Cotabato and this city, 57 in Sultan Kudarat, 53 in North Cotabato, and 51 in Sarangani.

Constancio Paye Jr., MGB-12 director, said the VRA is the continuation of the geohazard mapping conducted by the agency in all cities and municipalities in Soccsksargen.

Paye said they had distributed geohazard maps with 1:50,000 and 1:10,000 scales to all local government units (LGUs), focusing on the determination of flood and landslide susceptibility.

A project briefer said the VRA or risk exposure maps identify barangays with the most number of people who might be affected by specific geohazards, proper locations as well as the most appropriate alternate traffic routes and pre-positioning areas for recovery and relief operations.

“We did not stop with the identification of the areas at risk to hazards but we’re also looking into the population, especially the number of families, which might be affected in case of disasters,” Paye said.

The official said these “geologic reports” are intended as planning tools that may be used by LGUs in updating their disaster management plans.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...