DENR protests tree-cutting for Ormoc diversion road project

By Sarwell Meniano – PNA

TACLOBAN CITY — The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) has called on the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) to stop cutting trees in the ongoing construction of a diversion road in Ormoc City.

In a statement issued Thursday, DENR Regional Executive Director Crizaldy Barcelo said 21 trees have been cut within the site of two packages of the road project so far, covering an aggregate volume of 2.16 cubic meters.

Based on initial inspection, construction works will uproot 16 mangrove trees under package A and 196 trees under package B. The cutting of trees was made even before the issuance of Environmental Compliance Certificate, according to DENR.

“The DPWH has been advised by the DENR to refrain from further executing the project and subsequent modification of the existing environment in the project site without an approved ECC and corresponding tree-cutting permit to be issued by the DENR, as well as appropriate clearances from authorities prior to the implementation especially that the project site is within an environmentally critical area,” Barcelo said.

The multi-million peso DPWH project of the Leyte 4th engineering district office will link the villages reached by boat, and will cut down the 11-kilometer travel distance by land to San Juan, Naungan, and Lao villages in Ormoc to only four kilometers. The project will be implemented in four packages.

In a statement, the DPWH Leyte 4th engineering district office said they will conduct an investigation on the alleged tree-cutting activities by the contractor, considering that package B is yet to be completed.

“Based on the survey conducted, mangrove area is located at the end portion of the package B. At present, the project is still half way towards the end portion and only traverses on a swamp area with nipa plants,” said DPWH Leyte 4th district engineer Lino Francisco Gonzalez.

Gonzalez said they are fully aware of the provision in cutting of trees and committed to adhere to and comply with existing environmental laws and regulations.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...