DepEd chief pushes classroom building reform to tackle shortage 

One of the buildings of Masbate Comprehensive National High School and Nursery Elementary School in Masbate City, Masbate. (Photo courtesy: Lapay Multimedia Team SDO Masbate City / DepEd)

By Stephanie Sevillano | Philippine News Agency

Education Secretary Sonny Angara on Tuesday pushed for reforms in classroom construction to address the long-standing backlog in schools.

This came after the Department of Education (DepEd) raised concerns over the slow pace of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), which had completed 22 of the 1,700 target classrooms as of October this year.

In an ambush interview, Angara said construction could speed up once projects are opened up to other sectors, like the local government.

“Gusto na naming baguhin ‘yung sistema… Ang gusto namin ngayon, pati isama na ‘yung local government units (LGUs),” he said, citing delays caused by the DPWH’s sole implementation of all DepEd-funded projects since 2018.

He added that provinces, cities, and even capable first- and second-class municipalities may soon be allowed to handle school building projects.

Besides LGUs, Angara said the agency is also exploring construction through the DepEd, public-private partnerships (PPP), and partners such as the Armed Forces of the Philippines’ Engineering Brigades.

DepEd Media Relations Head Dennis Legaspi said the proposed inclusion of these flexible construction provisions in the 2026 National Expenditure Program (NEP) was submitted in early 2025.

Legaspi cited the DPWH’s “heavy workload, late validation and costing submissions, and leadership changes” as reasons for the delays.

Angara, however, expressed optimism that construction will speed up under the leadership of DPWH Secretary Vince Dizon.

“Ako’y kumpiyansa na sa ilalim ng liderato ni Secretary Vince Dizon, bibilis naman,” he said.

To date, the DepEd has reported 146,708 classroom backlogs nationwide, while the DepEd and DPWH have completed 22,092 classrooms from July 2022 to July 2025.

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...