DFA chief wants visa-on-arrival privilege for foreigners removed

By Joyce Ann L. Rocamora/Philippine News Agency

MANILA — Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. on Wednesday recommended the removal of visa upon arrival privilege for foreigners.

Locsin’s proposal came following the remarks of National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon Jr. that the influx of undocumented foreigners to Manila pose a possible security threat to the country.

“We need to put an end to visas upon arrival; all visas should be issued by consular offices after vetting,” Locsin said on his official Twitter account, in reaction to the headline carrying Esperon’s remarks.

“We must take extra care in outsourcing any part of the visa application process, picking only the most reputable worldwide,” Locsin added.

In an earlier news forum, Esperon said he remains on the “cautious side” when looking at the issue of the volume of foreigners in the country, particularly when they are undocumented and when their intent is not clear.

“On the matter of Chinese coming in, are we surprised about that? Of course,” Esperon said.

“What’s really happening is that there are businesses, offshore gaming, coming in to the Philippines– these are regulated by the PAGCOR (Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation). But there are illegal players, illegal operators, that’s our problem, because some of these Chinese could come in as tourists and they could end up for the period that they are allowed here to be workers,” he added in Filipino.

Meanwhile, he dismissed as “wild imagination” the speculation that Chinese nationals coming in are part of the Chinese army.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...