DFA eyes to increase its passport processing capacity

MANILA — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) is eyeing to increase its passport processing capacity to meet the rising demand for Philippine passports.

During the House probe on slow passport processing on Tuesday, DFA Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said the demand for passports “shot up” after the validity of Philippine passports was extended to 10 years from the previous five years.

“When we took over, the demand shot up. So in 2016 alone to 2017, (the demand for passports surged to) 600,000. Medyo nag-click talaga yung 10-year passport (The 10-year passport really became a hit),” Cayetano said.

Cayetano noted that the APO Production Unit, Inc., the state-owned contractor that produces the passport, was able to print up to 28,000 passports but the consular offices were only able to process around 14,000 daily.

He said the agency aims to establish more offices to increase the daily processing capacity to 31,000 passports daily.

“We are now doing around 18,000 locally. With the new offices, we can do up to 30,000 to 31,000 a day,” Cayetano said.

Cayetano said the DFA has also taken other measures to address the passport delays including the removal of 1,200 appointment slots previously reserved daily for travel agencies, the restriction of DFA employees’ access and referral to the courtesy lane, cancellation of bogus appointments, and overbooking of appointments. (Filane Mikee Cervantes/PNA)

Popular

DBM releases P27.4B for continued medical aid to indigent Filipinos

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) announced Friday the release of around P27.4 billion to continue...

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...