DFA temporarily halts deployment of OFWs to Sri Lanka

By Gabriela Baron

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) temporarily halted on Saturday, July 16, the deployment of new overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) to Sri Lanka, citing the “security situation” in the country.

The DFA raised Alert Level 2 or “restriction phase” in Sri Lanka as mass protests continued due to the ongoing economic crisis.

Meanwhile, the agency clarified that only those with existing employment contracts in Sri Lanka will be allowed to return.

The DFA assured that it is in “constant coordination” with the Filipino community in Sri Lanka through the Philippine Embassy in Dhaka.

No Filipinos were reported injured during the recent incidents of violent protests, it added.

“The Department, in coordination with the office of the Philippine Honorary Consul General in Colombo, will be providing the needed assistance to Filipinos severely affected by the crisis,” DFA said.

“The Department would like to emphasize that there are no plans yet to evacuate Filipinos from Sri Lanka at this time.”

Amid the continuing tensions in Sri Lanka, DFA reminded Filipinos there to remain in their residence and avoid areas where there are protests.

It also discouraged Filipinos in Sri Lanka from joining mass actions “for their own safety and well-being.”

Sri Lanka President Gotabaya Rajapaksa tendered his resignation after fleeing his country last week in the wake of anti-government protests. – ngs

Popular

Torre says he has no ill feelings towards PBBM, DILG chief following relief 

By Brian Campued “Look at me straight in the eye, do I look like somebody who is bitter?” This was the response of former Philippine National...

PBBM to visit Cambodia, attend UN General Assembly

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. will embark on a state visit to Cambodia and later attend the...

PBBM eyes different gov’t post for Torre, Palace confirms

By Brian Campued President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is offering former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief PGen. Nicolas Torre III a different position in the...

‘Organic, real people’: Gomez belies claims that PCO pays for reactors, vloggers

By Brian Campued Presidential Communications Office (PCO) acting Secretary Dave Gomez on Tuesday stressed that the PCO does not pay reactors and vloggers to support...