DICT orders unlocking of mobile phones after lock-in period

By Aerol John Pateña/PNA

MANILA — Mobile phone subscribers will soon gain additional flexibility to choose their service providers after the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) has directed the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) to oversee a mandatory unlocking of mobile devices after their contracted lock-in period.

DICT has issued Memorandum Order 004, Series of 2018 this Friday which will allow subscribers to switch to compatible wireless service providers.

“Subscribers who have completed such lock-in periods and have no outstanding obligations on their subscription contracts can demand to mandatorily unlock their phones and devices on convenient sites, facilities and processes that will be provided by their respective wireless service providers,” the memorandum read.

DICT Acting Secretary Eliseo Rio Jr. said this initiative will encourage telcos to be innovative on services they offer to consumers.

“This is an additional Christmas Gift of this administration to the Filipino telco subscribers. While we empower the industry through the entry of the new major player, we are also pushing for pro-consumer measures,” Rio said in a statement.

The NTC is set to draft a Memorandum Circular for the appropriate rules and regulations and to conduct public consultations and hearings.

Popular

Reg’l security, ‘coercive acts’ top PBBM’s Japan visit agenda

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is expecting regional security, coercive activities and growing Indo-Pacific tensions to dominate...

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...