Dismissal sought for cops in mauling of security guard in Koronadal

GENERAL SANTOS CITY — Police authorities in Region 12 are seeking the dismissal from service of a police officer and several other personnel tagged in the mauling a security guard at a bar in Koronadal City last week.

Chief Supt. Marcelo Morales, Police Regional Office (PRO) director, said Wednesday they recommended the conduct of summary dismissal proceedings against Chief Insp. Armando Galigo Jr., and three other erring police personnel from the Philippine National Police (PNP) Crime Laboratory/Scene of the Crime Operatives (Soco) and the Highway Patrol Group in Region 12.

Galigo, chief of the South Cotabato Soco unit, and Police Officers 3 Edmund delos Reyes, Joven Sumugod and Reymart Lustro are accused of mauling security guard Randyl Almacin at the entrance of Mc Grille Bar in Koronadal City early on Feb. 2.

The incident, which was recorded by the establishment’s closed-circuit television (CCTV) camera, happened after Almacin asked the policemen to deposit their firearms before entering the bar.

The CCTV footage showed Delos Reyes, who was assigned at the Soco unit, punching the security guard several times in the presence of the visibly angry Galigo.

Police investigators said Galigo’s group, who were all in civilian clothes, also included Sumugod and Lustro of the HPG-South Cotabato.

Morales said the involved policemen have already been relieved from their assignments and currently undergoing investigation at the regional Crime Laboratory/SOCO and HPG headquarters.

The erring policemen are under the operational control of the PRO-12, but not administratively.

The police official said they expect that the summary dismissal proceedings will speed up the hearing of the cases.

“The CCTV footage clearly showed the violations committed by these policemen. So they will be dealt with accordingly,” the police official said in an interview over a local television station.

Aside from administrative cases, the involved policemen are facing physical injury, grave threat and grave oral defamation charges from the security guard. (AMS/PNA)

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...