DOH-6 warns against dengue cases even in dry season

by Gail Momblan/PNA

ILOILO CITY — The Department of Health-Center for Health Development in Western Visayas (DOH-CHD 6) has called on the public not to be complacent due to possible emergence of dengue cases even during the dry season.

“During dry season, people tend to store water, which serves as breeding grounds of mosquitoes,” Dr. Jessie Glen Alonsabe, medical specialist III of DOH, said in an interview on Friday.

Water-filled artificial containers, closely associated with human dwellings and often indoors, are identified breeding grounds of mosquitoes carrying the dengue virus.

As of February 16, dengue cases in the region totaled to 2,762 with 13 deaths, based on the DOH data.

This is 118 percent higher compared to the 1, 269 cases recorded in the same period last year. Most dengue patients were children aged 1 to 10 years old.

A total of 121 barangays in the region had a clustering of cases.

The DOH said 2019 is the third year of the “three-year cycle”, which means the incidence of cases peaks according to this interval.

Despite this, Alonsabe is hopeful the department, with the help of the public, can reduce the number of cases this year.

He assured that activities for dengue will not be compromised with the intensified measles preventive measures and vaccination activities.

He encouraged the public to intensify the “4S Kontra Dengue,” which stands for search and destroy mosquito breeding places, secure self-protection, seek early consultation and support fogging only in hotspot areas.

“Most especially, we encourage the public to intensify the ‘search and destroy’ practice to lessen or eliminate the rise of dengue cases,” Alonsabe said.

Popular

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...

PBBM: Pax Silica a ‘good deal’ to attract more investments

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday described the Pax Silica initiative as a “good deal,” saying...

Palace defends P7.2T budget, urges critics to study spending plan

By Darryl John Esguerra | Philippine News Agency Malacañang on Thursday hit back at critics of the proposed P7.2-trillion 2027 national budget, telling lawmakers to...