DOJ probing blogger for leads on destab plot video bankrollers

By Benjamin Pulta/Philippine News Agency

MANILA — Criminal charges of inciting to sedition, child abuse, and cyber libel are among the cases being prepared against Rodel Jayme, a person of interest invited by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) for spreading a video smearing the family of President Rodrigo Duterte.

“For now we are focusing on this guy. We are not done with this guy yet. After investigation, it may turn out that some other people who propagated the video in a very vigorous manner may have to be investigated further,” Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said in a press briefing Thursday.

Guevarra said the government used “open source tools” or sources commonly available to the public in pinning down Jayme as a person of interest.

NBI Cyber Crime Division operative Francis Seniora confirmed that electronic devices surrendered by Jayme are being scrutinized by forensics expert for leads on the creators of the offending video.

Jayme, of Moonbeam St., Barangay Moonwalk, in Parañaque City, had earlier been identified as the beneficiary in an ad sense account by a number of online personalities, as the primary source of the video featuring alias “Bikoy”, an anonymous accuser who appears in the video criticizing the administration’s war on drugs and slandering the President’s family including the Chief Executive’s minor daughter.

For the latest updates about this story, visit the Philippine News Agency website

Popular

PBBM admin addressing long-standing gaps in flood control system

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. is addressing long-standing gaps in the country’s flood control system through new...

Malacañang bares 39 Metro Manila sites eyed for floodwater storage, retention projects

By Brian Campued As part of the government’s various initiatives to address perennial flooding in Metro Manila, a total of 39 sites across the capital...

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...