DOJ: Ragos retraction has no effect on De Lima’s case

By Alec Go

 

The Department of Justice (DOJ) said Rafael Ragos’ retraction of his previous statements on April 30 this year will not “destroy the strength of evidence of the case” against Senator Leila De Lima and Ronnie Dayan.

The DOJ questioned on May 2 the “glaring delay” on the recantation of his previous affidavits dated 5 and 26 September 2016 and March 2017, and expressed doubt on its truthfulness, calling his motive “highly suspicious.”

“It is left to the appreciation of the court to consider his affidavit of recantation if it can completely destroy his previous affidavits and testimonies,” the DOJ said, noting that Ragos has executed the affidavit “more than five years after he testified before the Senate in 2016 and other subsequent affidavits executed in 2017.”

“He even testified in court on 07, 14, and 28 June 2019, and the defense subjected him to an extensive cross-examination. After his testimony, he appeared before the Senate in September 2019 and again reiterated his dealings with accused De Lima,” the DOJ said. In all of the foregoing instances, there was no mention of coercion or intimidation.”

The department also said the retraction of the former National Bureau of Investigation official’s remarks on the alleged transactions with De Lima “has minimal effect as Ragos merely contradicted himself with respect to his recantation,” and it will have no impact on other witnesses’ testimonies.

“The testimonies of the witnesses presented by the prosecution are enough to pin and prove the charges against accused Senator Leila M. De Lima and Ronnie Dayan,” it stated. 

Last month, self confessed drug lord Kerwin Espinosa also recanted his allegations against De Lima who has been in detention since 2017. 

In a Tweet on Tuesday, the senator said the witnesses’ move to recant their statements are not among the questionable moves on the case against her.

If anything, this is the only thing that makes sense: it’s proof that the truth will always come out,” she said.

“What is so questionable/suspicious about witnesses finding it in their conscience to retract their lies against me? Anyone can see how I am in no position to force anything from them,” she added. – gb 

Popular

DOJ tasks PNP, NBI to ‘effect the arrest’ of Bato

By Brian Campued “We’re pursuing this so that the ends of justice may be achieved.” The Department of Justice (DOJ) has given the greenlight for law...

PH earns 76/100 transparency score in int’l survey

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “These achievements are encouraging. For us in government, these however, are not the destination.” In his keynote speech on Wednesday, Department of...

PBBM to LGUs: Ensure efficient use of budget for community empowerment

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday urged local government units (LGUs) to ensure the prudent and...

ICC warrant vs. Bato ‘valid’ after SC rejection of TRO request —Palace

By Brian Campued The warrant of arrest issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is “valid,” according to Palace...