Downgrade OK than stricter alert level in Metro Manila: Palace

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos/ Philippine News Agency

There is nothing to lose by downgrading the alert level status in Metro Manila from Alert Level 3 to Alert Level 2, Malacañang said on Friday.

In an online press briefing, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said it would be harder for Metro Manila residents if the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) decided to impose a more stringent alert level in the country’s metropolis.

Hence, the decision to place Metro Manila under Alert Level 2 from November 5 to 21 is “good news,” because there would be more economic activities in the region, he said.

“Alam ninyo po mahirap kasi kung magtataas ng alert level kasi lilimitahan natin iyong mga magtatrabaho, lilimitahan natin iyong pagbubukas ng ekonomiya. Pero siguro naman kung reverse gaya nito na pagbaba eh wala pong mawawala,” Roque said.

Roque on Thursday night announced the IATF-EID’s decision to de-escalate alert level status in Metro Manila to Alert Level 2.

He said the IATF-EID’s decision to impose Alert Level 2 is based on data.

“Talaga naman pong konserbatibo ang IATF kaya nga po minsan talagang nagkakaroon nang matinding debate na dapat magbukas na. Pero ‘pag nagsang-ayon po ang lahat na kinakailangan i-deescalate, mayroon naman pong dahilan iyan dahil nga po importante mas maraming hanapbuhay sa ating mga kababayan,” he said.

Under Alert Level 2, the intrazonal and interzonal movement shall be allowed, but “reasonable restrictions” may be imposed by the local government units (LGUs).

The downgrading of alert level in Metro Manila also allows children to go outside of their homes, Roque said.

“Pinapayagan na pong lumabas ang mga bata sa Metro Manila under Alert Level 2,” he said.

Roque added that higher education institutions may also resume limited face-to-face classes, subject to the guidelines imposed by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED).

Citing the CHED guidelines, Roque said in-person classes would only be allowed, so long as faculty members and students are fully-vaccinated, LGUs give their nod, HEI facilities are retrofitted, and the room capacity is only at 50 percent.

He reminded the public not to let their guard down, saying the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) remains a threat to public health.

He also reiterated the government’s appeal for the public to continue observing the minimum public health standards to protect themselves against COVID-19.

“Hindi po ibig sabihin na bumaba ng Alert Level 2 ay magpapabaya na tayo. Anytime po habang nandiyan pa si COVID-19 ay pupuwedeng sumipa muli ang mga kaso,” Roque said. (PNA) -rir

 

Popular

Palace clarifies stance on Sen. dela Rosa developments, dispels “siege” claims

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet “Wag nating pabayaan ang may mga masamang balak na paligtasin ang dapat na managot.” As media coverage of last week’s array of...

PBBM appoints Kim Robert de Leon as new Budget Secretary

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet In a briefing on Monday, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary and Palace Press Officer Claire Castro announced the appointment of Kim...

PBBM most approved gov’t official —survey

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. emerged as the most approved government official in a recent nationwide survey...

PBBM rallies PMA graduates to remain loyal to the Constitution

By Brian Campued “As you take your oath today, remember that your loyalty is not to any political interest, not to any individual, nor any...