DPWH, other gov’t agencies to implement Cebu flood control masterplan

The aftermath of Typhoon Tino near the Mananga River in Talisay City, Cebu on Tuesday, Nov. 4, 2025. (Photo courtesy: Cebu Provincial Government)

By Ferdinand Patinio | Philippine News Agency

Government agencies will be working together for the implementation of a flood mitigation program in the province of Cebu, which experienced massive flooding due to Typhoon Tino (international name: Kalmaegi).

According to Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Sec. Vince Dizon, they are looking to implement the flood control master plan laid down during the previous administration.

He said they will also consult former DPWH Sec. Rogelio Singson and several other government agencies on the program, which is in line with President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s order for the immediate and correct implementation of a flood mitigation project in Cebu to prevent a repeat of severe flooding.

“We took the guidance of Sec. Babes (Singson) because he is more familiar with the masterplan from the previous administrations. Sec. Babes said: ‘the plans are there, they just need to be implemented, but they are not being implemented correctly’,” Dizon added in a statement Wednesday.

He noted that the President directed him to consult Singson on the proper implementation of the flood control masterplan.

The DPWH chief explained that there is no need to change the masterplan because it already contains all the steps and directions for its proper implementation.

“There is no need to plan, no need to study because [everything] is already in the plan,” he said.

The DPWH, Dizon said, will collaborate with the National Irrigation Administration (NIA) and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) for the implementation.

On Tuesday, the three agencies’ heads discussed the implementation of the project.

Typhoon Tino claimed at least 232 lives, including 150 from Cebu, due to massive flooding when it hit the Visayas last week.

Popular

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...

Palace assures BARMM polls to proceed amid probe into Macacua ambush

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet The recent ambush attack on BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua drew condemnation from President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as well...

PBBM to endorse ‘best’ candidate for 2028 presidential race

By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos | Philippine News Agency President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Friday said he will endorse the “best” candidate in the 2028...