DPWH to replace Biliran’s typhoon-hit bridge

TACLOBAN CITY — The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) will build a taller, longer and stronger bridge to replace the Caraycaray Bridge in Biliran province, which was destroyed by Typhoon Urduja last December.

Biliran’s lone district Rep. Rogelio Espina said a study is being done for a new bridge design that could withstand natural calamities, to be released in two months so the project could proceed in the first semester of the year.

“We don’t know how much the required budget is since the study is still ongoing. But we’ve been informed that the bridge project is very expensive, with an estimated cost of PHP1 million per meter,” Espina told reporters on Friday.

Caraycaray Bridge was 130 meters long before it collapsed due to massive flooding brought by “Urduja” in December 2017. The replacement bridge could be longer as the river has changed its course.

The bridge, which forms part of the major highway, is a vital infrastructure to get to Biliran’s provincial capital of Naval from Leyte’s provincial capital of Tacloban City.

While visiting Biliran last week, Public Works Secretary Mark Villar announced the building of a detour bridge across Caraycaray Bridge while waiting for the completion of the permanent structure. The 45-meter temporary bridge will cost PHP4.76 million.

“This will reduce the travel time of heavy vehicles from Biliran town to Naval from two-and-a-half hours to 30 minutes,” said DPWH-Biliran chief David Adongay.

Load restrictions for the damaged bridge force heavy vehicles to take the 90-kilometer route around the circumferential road.

“The government has to speed up the construction of the new bridge to bring (down) the cost of goods in Biliran province. For instance, a sack of rice is PHP200 higher in Naval than in Leyte,” Adongay added.

Caraycaray Bridge is categorized by DPWH as an old bridge, since it was built 40 years ago without major rehabilitation. (PNA)

Popular

PNP seeks takedown of Zamboanga school shooting videos, photos

By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan | Philippine News Agency Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief PGen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. on Wednesday ordered the Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG)...

Malacañang eyes further measures in handling incidents involving minors to avoid copycat threats

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet Underscoring the delicate nature of sensitive news akin to the Zamboanga City school shooting incident on Tuesday, Malacañang said that it...

Agencies mobilized to ensure whole-of-gov’t approach on monsoon rains —Palace

By Brian Campued Malacañang on Tuesday assured the public that relevant agencies are working to ensure a swift and coordinated response to the persistent heavy...

Malacañang refutes ex-DPWH chief’s claim linking CSSP with flood control mess

By Dean Aubrey Caratiquet As recent widespread floods brought by the southwest monsoon (habagat) rekindled discussions about the administration’s response to ‘ghost’ and anomalous flood...